Sunday, January 22, 2012

norðurljós


So I saw the Northern Lights last night, or Aurora Borealis for all you scientists out there. I took the above picture... I did not take the below one, but merely post it to show you what they looked like (because there are so many possibilities). I also must admit that while it is really beautiful and amazing to see... cameras do a much better job than the human eye. What we saw wasn't nearly as colorful. It looked at first like maybe just weird clouds lit in the sky by light from a city. But there was no city there, and when someone took a picture, it came out looking bright green (like below). I would admit in reality however, that it was green twinged (though i hear it can be much brighter in color).

Five of us rented a car and started driving out to the national park where they take tour buses full of people to see them. While we were on the road there--going about 25 mph because the girl driving was somehow a worse driver than my 80 yr old grandmother and i was silently banging my head against the window asking that i just be put out of my misery--my prayers were answered as someone saw the "arc" out the window. This is the northern lights precursor and we pulled over onto the side of the road and jumped out. As we stared (and FROZE... not exaggerating... it was -4 C and WINDY) the light slowly moved across and around the horizon. Some big and spreading, some smaller and bright and reaching upwards. A few extended high across the sky. It was a sight to see. It lasted probably twenty minutes of slow moving ebbs and flows of light.

I would not proclaim to be a changed person now, nor have I somehow become addicted to finding them, but I truly look forward to seeing them again someday, and invite you all the join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment