Friday, October 8, 2010

I can totally make this!

So i went for a hike this morning on my own at 5:45 am. The misty mountains are amazing in the am. So quiet and beautiful and this hike actually took me through viney green forests in the mist (a rarity in this lumber capital).

But the trouble was getting to the actual trail, i sort of had to make my own way. I had been around the area before but didn't quite know the best way to cross this stream that stood between me and my goal. I walked for a while to where I thought I could cross it then back tracked to a place i thought i could cross it, but I didn't want to backtrack all the way to where i KNEW i could actually cross it via log bridge... so I took a good look at this big ole stream. somewhere between 6-10 feet across... clean water... good banks.... If I just found the right spot I could totally make it by jumping.

I walked up and down a while, thought I'd found it and tossed my bag across. It was after the bag toss that I realized... i probably couldn't make it. But too late. Long story short... i jumped... and ended up up to my thighs in cold mud and water. I'm practically Bear Gryllis, so I clambered quickly up onto the bank... but i by no means can say that i "made" the jump. I then rolled up my muddy, soaking-wet jeans and kept on to the rest of the hike. I celebrated my success with a breakfast buffet at a classy hotel, ruining everying for all the other guests with my hap-hazard appearance.

But you know what, I am super glad I jumped. I (embarassingly) can't help but see that stream experience as a metaphor for my time here so far. I took a leap, and you know what, I didn't make it... but all you can do is pull yourself out. and in the end, the jump was awesome and exhilarating and I'm really proud of myself for attempting it. How many people can honestly say they would try to jump it? Most would go back to the bridge. I am the kind of girl who jumps, even when she knows deep down she isn't gonna make it.

1 comment:

  1. it's funny because i can actually hear your voice saying, "i can totally make this." classic popples humor. glad to see you haven't stopped paving your own way. much love, and safe thoughts girlfriend

    ReplyDelete