Friday, September 4, 2009

The U.S. Needs more stray cats

So I've been living in Odessa, Ukraine for almost a week now. I'm in an apartment I'm subleasing with another girl. Luckily I got here first and had no qualms about taking the bedroom and leaving her the pull out couch. I even stuck pictures on the walls before she got here, making a switch almost impossible. Turns out she is book smart not street smart, which is my nice way of saying she is totally boring and stupid. She is also from Slovakia, which sounds like a made up country to me. Anyways, I've had worse roommates... Which is probably why I like living alone so much. That, and loud sex.

I'm volunteering at an org called this child here (www.thischildhere.org). Basically there is a home of 20 kids, mostly some end of teenaged, who came there off the street. Many used to use crude street drugs. I asked what the rules of the house were and it was basically "go to school, participate, don't do glue.". It's marvelously disorganized... esp the volunteer role. So far ive accompanied kids places and sat around pretending I could understand them and making faces when I can tell they are talking about me. Needless to say, my Russian has gone to shit, but I'm actually gonna begin taking some lessons. So far the most bonding I've done is through smoking cigarettes... And I smoke way more to strengthen this bond. Who'd have thought I'd be sitting here with a sore throat due to peer pressure from 14 year olds? But I really like them and know in time it'll get easier.

Yesterday was the birthday of the city and I celebrated by heading downtown for the party... Which was mostly marked by the sale of silly wigs and head bands...? But I got a little drink on and danced with some wasted people to street musicians, so all in all, not a bad solo travel night. Also can I just say, god bless a place where the woman who sells you a beer from a street kiosk (for 75 cents) automatically opens it for you. Gotta love soviet mentalities. Life is hard, might as well get drunk.



-- Post From My iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment