Sunday, August 9, 2009

Get fit turkey!


I swear I've gained 8 lbs since getting here. These people never stop eating bread and cheese and drinking. Not that I'm against these things, I just usually get 90 minutes at the gym to help manage it all.

So today I was determined to get in a run. Now that I think about it, I've never seen anyone out running, but it didn't strike me as that odd. Wrong. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy. No. Like I was a fucking idiot. However this didn't stop them from trying to peddle their goods to me; waving a welcoming hand over their window of pastries. Not only have I clearly gone for a jog with lira stuffed down my shorts, but what I'm craving midrun is a generic circle of sesame seed bread. This, btw is called simit, and as far as I can tell is the most popular food in turkey with two or three old men selling it from a cart on every street corner.

Istanbul is a cross between Russia and NYC. Less soviet uniformity than Russia and many more mainstream brands, but the same awkward stuck between east and west, old and new issues. Off to Cuban night at the lycée alumni club!



-- Post From My iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment