Thursday, August 27, 2009

Please don't say I told you so

So you were right. My mom was right. Everyone was right. (an attractive) woman should not travel alone in turkey. Earlier this week I had a run in with a man who lied to me until I finally took a stand and by that point I didn't know where I was. I've been harassed daily. I've refused shady offer after shady offer and with a smile. But last night was the final straw. Turkish men are disgusting rude jerks, and they are a major reason I am leaving this country so soon.

Last night guner put me on a bus to Istanbul where Ill catch a ferry to Odessa. I like long drives and they have hilariously nice road stops, so I was looking forward to some nice time with my thoughts and music. These buses are common and a lot like planes with a flight attendant offering drinks and meals and making sure they don't leave without anyone. I had a set of seats to myself right in front of his prep area and settled in to get some sleep.

Within minutes I felt weird nudging on my back but when I checked nothing was there. I assumed this was how it felt when my seat got bumped into. Oh well. Minutes later I felt a hand brush up on my arm. It was coming from the steward reaching up between the seats. Odd. But obviously he was just keeping his balance.

I dozed. He brushed my leg with his hand. And again on his way back... And lingered? By the time I woke up to find his hand coming through the seat to rest on my upper inner thigh I was in too deep. I yanked my body away thinking he'd get the message. By the point his hand hovered next to my ass I just held my breath and faked being asleep until he fully grabbed it and I pulled away again because I was just too confused,shocked, and upset to know what else to do. He'd grope. I'd pull away with fear... How else do you say no without causing a scene? I know I should have caused a scene but I was at such a loss. I curled up in a tight scared ball, leaving nothing touchable. I felt the same nudging I had in the very beginning of the ride, his fingers pushing up between the seat cushion and back to touch my back.

I called Trent when we stopped. He reminded that this was not okay and eventually when I cowered away from a probing hand, I tapped it and made my angriest face a shook my head no. He only did it a few more times after that because "no" in turkey aparently means "keep trying, I'm into it" and he did the boob brush when serving me tea. But I mean, at that point, the old brush trick could be considered polite.

I was so excited to get off that bus I left my phone on it. Not every man I met here is terrible, just most. I'm gone.



-- Post From My iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment